Media Advocacy Forum Meeting.
Bandhu Social Welfare Society (Bandhu) organized the Media Advocacy Forum Meeting at Chelakotha, 5/7 (6th Floor), Block D, Lalmatia. Purposes of the meeting were-
- To orient on Bandhu Media Fellowship and provide necessary guidelines
- To introduce Bandhu activities and Community for face to face open discussion
- To orient on Media Advocacy Handbook
In the opening session, Mr. Shale Ahmed, Executive Director, Bandhu shared the objectives of the Bandhu Media Fellowship along with impact and key achievements of previous fellowship programs. He mentioned that so far 56 Media Fellows enrolled this fellowship program since 2011 and expressed his gratitude to the journalists for being with the community.
A brief presentation on At a glance-Bandhu was presented by Umme Farhana Zarif, Program Manager highlighting the mission, vision, interventions, strategy linking with National Policies, significant achievements according to Bandhu’s Strategic Goals and Media Fellowship 2017 concept and new theme.
Mr. Robaet Ferdous, Associate Professor, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka introduced the Journalist hand book to the fellows.
Shahnaz Munni, Chief News Editor, Channel news24 conducted a session on Story Planning of Individuals and Necessary Guidelines. . The major objective of this session was to share the individual idea with each other thus help them to develop effective reporting under fellowship and avoid duplication. This story plan of individuals as follows:
- National Budget and Allocation for Hijra community and how the budget is spending for their development and real change in Hijra’s life and development Hijra’s life through Livelihood Trainings
- Hijra’s in Govt. Job: Initiatives and Challenges
- Traditional Hijra Culture and reasons for their disinterest in new profession
- Hijra identity and obstacles to find mainstream services in Bangladesh
- Reporting on Hijra Manab Polli, Dinajpur as Role Model of Hijra livelihood Project in Bangladesh
- Health Risk of Adolescent period of Hijra community
- Third Gender Declaration by the Govt. of Bangladesh and its impact
- Fundamental rights of Hijra and religious barriers
- Old age Hijra and their daily life and what type of challenges they are facing during availing health facilities from Govt Hospitals
Media Fellowship : Expectation & Challenges
Bayezid Ahmed, Special Correspondent, Deepto TV discussed probable challenges and overcoming strategies highlighting previous fellowship. The key challenges are:
- Difficulties to get approval for On Airing especially for Electronic media
- Duration of reporting and prime time
- Unwillingness of Gatekeepers for On Airing
- Quality of the report with proper information
- Topics of the reporting are almost same in some cases/ overlapping issues
- Lack of interest to involve TG/Hijra community during developing reports
- Not willing to visit field /hijra’s place throughout the fellowship.