Divisional level consultation with local CBOs, Social Welfare Department, CSOs
To introduce CBO activities with local multi level influential stakeholders and create network through developing good rapport to access stigma free support at respective area, Bandhu Social Welfare Society (Bandhu) organized a Divisional Level Consultation with Multilevel Stakeholders at Shahid Shamsuddin Hall Room, DC Office, Sirajganj.
On 27 March 2017, 65 eminent guests attended the meeting representing GO and NGOs includes different divisional/district administration, Social Welfare Department, Women Affair, Civil Surgeon office and NGOs conducting HIV intervention, members of STI/AIDS Network, local media houses, Faith leaders, Teachers, Lawyers, CBO members and other influential’s of the society.
The honorable District Commissioner (DC) Mr. Abu Noor Mohammad Shamsuzzaman (In Charge) graced the event as Chief Guest. Mr. Miraj Uddin, Police Super, Mr. Shahidul Islam Khan, Deputy Director, Social Welfare Department, Ms. Laila Nargis, representative of Women Affairs, Mr. Swapon Kumar Kormokar, Deputy Director, Youth Development Academy, Dr. Sheikh Mohammed Monjur Rahman, Civil Surgeon were there as Special Guests.
Umme Farhana Zarif Kanta, Program Manager, Bandhu briefly shared an overview of Bandhu and significant achievements highlighting National and Regional development of Hijra community, Community System Strengthening and Policy Advocacy activities of Bandhu.
Presided the consultation as Chair, a participatory open discussion was moderated by Mr. Kamrul Hasan, Additional District Commissioner (ADC) after the demonstration of documentary film “Will This Change”.
Agreed action items of the consultation for follow up:
- A Public Interest Litigation (PIL) can be filed at the Supreme Court for enjoying Inheritance Property Rights by third gender community.
- More livelihood trainings especially “Computer Course” need to be organized by Youth Development Academy.
- The ratio of Student Stipend, Elderly Pension scheme and other facilities need to increase by the Social Welfare Department under Ministry of Social Welfare (MSW).
- Regular consultation between Social Welfare Department and Hijra Guru at respective districts may help to design more effective pilot program for Hijra under MSW in future.
- Red Crescent Society, Shirajganj will take initiatives to construct housing for Hijra after allocating space by DC at Shirajganj.
- “Quota” for Hijra in every sector can be introduced to bring Equality.
- A special card can be introduced by the Govt. to claim the rights of Hijra as Third Gender.
- Only vocational training is not sufficient to change their livelihood, also needed seed money to start the initial business or Income Generating Activities after the training. For this Bandhu may take lead with the support of all stakeholders to develop linkage with other organization who provides SME at local level.
- Psychological Change is also important besides the vocational training and for this counseling session is essential during designing any program for Hijra community.
- Hijra will be equally penalized if they violate any country law. Sometimes Hijra are most aggressive to collect money from the general public and LEA has to be more active to stop that entire situation especially public nuisance.
- Ward Counselors of Shirajganj are already cooperative towards Hijra ad will continue their support in future. For this, Hijra also need to be transformed specially their approach in public places.
- The lawyers of Shirajganj are more committed to provide legal support and to reduce the stigma and discrimination of Hijra at local level.
- More awareness program need to be designed to create awareness amongst Hijra, so that the community can protect themselves from HIV/AIDS.
Hijra Guru may take strong leadership to stop mugging from the pedestrian or house and offensive attitude.