Consultation on Inclusion of Third Gender in National Census
Bandhu Social Welfare Society is consistently working for advocating the rights of third gender community in Bangladesh with different key stakeholders. As a part of its policy advocacy initiatives, Bandhu Social Welfare Society and National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) jointly organized a consultation titled “Count Me In: Inclusion of Third Gender in National Census” on 13 December, 2018. A total of 70 participants including representatives of NHRC, law Enforcement Agencies, Journalists, professors of public & private universities, community members, research institutes, lawyer fellows, GO and NGO personnel.
The meeting was ornamented with the presence of Kazi Reazul Hoque, Hon’ble Chairman, NHRC, Bangladesh as Chief Guest, Dr. Krishna Gayen, Director General, Bureau of Statistics Department, Bangladesh, Habibur Rahman, BPM(BAR) PPM, Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), Bangladesh Police and Gokul Krishna Ghosh, Director, NGO affairs Bureau as Special Guest, Slavica Radosevic, Political Processes Team Lead, DRG Office, USAID Bangladesh, Kevin Goh, First Secretary, Australian High Commission, Dhaka attended the meeting as guest of honor. Anisul Islam Hero, Chairperson, Bandhu Social Welfare Society presided the meeting as Chair. Mr. Robaet Ferdous, Professor, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka presented the key note of this consultation.
An open discussion was moderated by Anisul Islam Hero, Chairperson, Bandhu Social Welfare Society where the need and importance of third gender inclusion in national census were discussed.
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statics can conduct a survey for Hijra before national household census in 2021
- Bangladesh NGO Affairs Bureau is more committed to give immediate approval towards third gender related fund
- A research can be conducted on transgender terminology in line with Health and Family Welfare Ministry
- DG, BBS assigned Md. Alamgir Hossain, Deputy Director, Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics for coordination with Bandhu and NHRC for further work on third gender issues
- BBS will develop a special questionnaire for third gender community along with main question paper under National Census. An orientation session will be organized for data collectors based on the special question paper and checklist for third gender community.
- Chairman, NHRC assigned Mr. Robaet Ferdous, Professor, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka to develop a concept note and checklist on third gender issues for national census.
- National Human Rights Commission will work with Bandhu to file writ petition on third gender issue.