Summary of key Bandhu Social Welfare Society Work
Year : 1996
- Bandhu Social Welfare Society (BSWS) founded
- Situational assessment in Dhaka, on MSM “Sex Secrecy and Shamefullness”supported by Ford Foundation conducted with the technical assistance from Naz Foundation International.
Year : 1997
- BSWS received registration from Ministry of Social Welfare and NGO affaires bureau.
- First foreign donation received from the Royal Norwegian Embassy for three years to set up DIC in central Dhaka and implement three fold services for MSM.
Year : 1999
- Participated the review on HIV/AIDS research and programmes for MSM in Bangladesh, conducted by Dr. Gary Dowseet, LA Trobe University, Australia.
Year : 2000
- Collaboration with ICDDR’B to carry out situation assessment of Male to male sex in Chittagong for STD/HIV Intervention
- First scaling up of the programme in Chittagong with support from UNDP/UNOPS
- Supported by FHI Regional Office, situational assessments conducted in Sylhet.
Agreement signed with FHI Bangladesh as their 1st partner in Bangladesh for scaling up of programme.
- Piloting Hijra programme in Bangladesh replicating BSWS model supported by USAID/FHI
- Second scaling up of BSWS in Sylhet with the support from FHI regional office/Naz Foundation International.
Year : 2001
- Organized the 1st national consultation meeting on male sexual and reproductive health in Bangladesh, supported by FHI Impact Bangladesh with technical assistance from Naz Foundation International.
- Supported by DFID, situational assessments conducted in Mymensingh.
- Third scaling up of BSWS in Mymensingh with the support from DFID and than FHI Bangladesh.
Documented as a best practice organization of MSM programme by UNAIDS.
Year : 2002
- Conducted the study of Legal, socio-cultural, Legislative and socio-economic impediments to effective HIV/AIDS intervention with MSM, supported by UNDP regional office, India
- Situation Assessment conducted in Comilla supported by Family Health International.
Year : 2003
- Situation Assessment conducted in Rajbari supported by Family Health International
- Organized the 2nd national consultation meeting on male sexual and reproductive health in Bangladesh, supported by FHI Impact Bangladesh and technical assistance from Naz Foundation International.
- Participated in the study on “Formulation of sexual and reproductive health behavior among young men in Bangladesh, supported by USAID/Catalyst Consortium.
- Received ARMAN award from Naz Foundation International, UK as a best MSM project in the region.
Year : 2004
- Situation assessment in Chittagong among Hijra population supported by FHI Bangladesh
- Situation Assessment conducted in Khulna among MSM and Hijra population supported by Family Health International
- Situation Assessment conducted in Jessore among Hijra population supported by Family Health International
- Conducted study on Faith, Culture and Sexualities in coordination with Naz Foundation International.
Year : 2005
- Awarded 1st grant (HATI) from Govt. of Bangladesh.
Year : 2006
- Formation regional partnership on MSM, South Asian MSM AIDS network (SAMAN)
- Agreement signed with the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands for scaling up programme in Dhaka, Comilla, Chittagong and Rajbari.
Year : 2007
- Agreement signed with DFID/Manusher Jonno Foundation for policy and Advocacy work of MSM.
- As a lead organization awarded grant from Ministry of Health and Welfare/UNICEF Bangladesh for further scaling up programme in 10 major districts in Bangladesh with the partnership of ICDDR’B, Light House, ODPUP and SAS.
- Formation partnership with Community Concern, Jessore and Chinnamul in Khulna for managing MSM programme at local level.
Year : 2008
- Conducted study on Dissecting peer-education approach for males having sex with males in Bangladesh: Way to Improve supported by UNAIDS Bangladesh
- Conducted the fourth consultation meeting on Policy and Advocacy: MSM in Bangladesh supported by Manusher Jonno Foundation, UNAIDS and UNICEF Bangladesh.
Year : 2009
- Elected as governing committee member of APCOM, Asia pacific coalition of MSM
- Situation assessment conducted in Cox’sbazar and Narayangonj supported by Amfar Foundation USA
- Scaling up programme at Cox’bazar and Narayangonj supported by Amfar Foundation, USA
Year : 2010
- Development of Strategy Planning of the organization 2012-2016
- Hosting roundtable discussion with Kaler Kantho
- Hosting the Regional Partners and Advocacy Workshop
- Development of a National MSM & Hijra Taskforce on HIV/AIDS &
- Shale Ahmed, Executive director of BSWS awarded Recognation in Excellence
in the Sexual Minorities population in Bangladesh.
Year : 2011
- Launching the Project Diva (Diversity in Action) – GFATM Round-9, South
Asia Regional Project
- Development of livelihood for MSM/ Hijra
- National Coordination and Orientation of Civil Society Organizations on
Sexual Minority Populations